Wednesday 28 June 2017

Week 3

After days of being inspired off Pinterest and now having collected a few balls of wool, it's about time I had a go at making something. Wanting to put my 4 hour double crochet practice to some use, I thought I would make something using this now familiar stitch. Something I could use..... that would take less than 4 hours..... a mobile phone cover!!!

First complete useful thing!!

After looking at a few different options online, I settled for a single colour with a flap and nice button look. The finished is project took just 2 hours, and I'm relatively pleased :)


I improvised with the loop, and am really pleased with the button I used (though I did head off to the sewing shop with the aim of finding a big daisy shaped button).



PLEIN AIR CROCHET

Depending on the size of your project, you can probably crochet just about anywhere! With hook, yarn and scissors you can sit or stand while you work on your creations. This week, I gave portable crochet a try.

Now we've been having some gorgeous weather over the past few weeks, and it seemed fitting to enjoy some of it on the beach.......Chesil beach. The fishing rods haven't been out for a LONG time, so while Mr Nolan gathered his gear together, Mrs Nolan packed her own hooks :)

Looking forward crocheting away an hour or two on the beach, I decided to take a simple project, some flowers that I had started making already. I had found this garden cotton twine in our cupboard and had grand ideas for it.. (yes, you can crochet with all sorts of yarny type things).


I thought it might make a nice basket to put my carrier bag stash of wool in, and after a little practise crochet with it, I felt confident to go ahead. But why make just a plain basket when you can complicate things and add flowers as a border in the middle?? After all, I've conquered the double crochet and have my own handmade mobile phone case!!

Liking a challenge, I set about making some eight-petalled flowers, to then be set in a square that could be made into a border for my, yet to be made, basket. The centre of the flower is made using a magic ring (more on that in the next post) using the cotton twine with a size 5 hook, and the fluffy petals from double knit yarn, size 4 hook.

They were great for making on the beach...



 the flowers...


They are experimental at the moment, but if the basket works out, I will post the pattern!

I loved working outside, it was easy with the few things I had taken along (yarn, scissors, hooks and wool needle), and once I'd got used to working in the wind, I was on a roll! 

Why not give it a try yourself?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 3

After days of being inspired off Pinterest and now having collected a few balls of wool, it's about time I had a go at making something...